History of Pierre Maspero's
Of all the historic sites in New Orleans, none have witnessed more drama than the old exchange coffee house known as The Original Pierre Maspero’s Slave Exchange. The building is one of the oldest in the French Quarter, having been erected in 1788 by Don Juan Paillet. During the first decades of the 19th century this coffee house was a meeting place where brothers Jean and Pierre Lafitte and their men met to plan escapes.
It was also in this historic site that Andrew Jackson met with the Lafitte brothers to plan the defense at the epic Battle of New Orleans. It was at this battle that the British surrendered to the American troops led by Jackson. America’s Independence was finalized and General Jackson went on to become the 7th president of the United States. Today, it is a locally-enjoyed restaurant where travelers to the French Quarter can dine on authentic New Orleans cuisine while enjoying the historic property.